Friday, September 15, 2006

Why men don't listen and women can't read maps

Reading a fantastic book - "Why men don't listen and women can't read maps" by Allan and Barbara Pease. I recommend it to anyone and everyone as it is really quite funny and also quite realistic. Since I'm doing Psychology I can pick out the different parts from different approaches to behaviour, personality and temperament, the main one this book focuses on is the Biological approach - basically saying that a lot of behaviour and personality comes from the genes. It's saying how women have bigger more allocated areas for speech which is why they often speak from an earlier age and talk so much, lol. It's really good.
I realised that a lot of it relates to stuff that's happened to me and I can totally relate it to people I know and to myself. I mean, some parts are of course different, we can't all be the 'typical' people of our gender.
An example of something that I related to other people I know is this quote:
"Because vocabulary is not a hotspot in a woman's brain, she can feel that the precise definition of words is irrelevant. She'll then take poetic licence with words, or won't shy away from exaggeration simply for effect. Men, however, interpret every word she says as if it is true and respond accordingly"
This reminded me of yesterday when Jodie said: "Seriously! Tom can't even read!" and Matt replied "Really? How'd he go to school?" In reality, Tom is actually not that terrible in his literacy skills compared to others of his age (16-ish) and obviously can read.

I find it rather amusing, especially the bits about how you have to speak simply, clearly and only on one topic

No comments: